The idea of a fuel that could be produced indefinitely might sound almost too good to be true. But in reality, biodiesel offers exactly that. Replacing exhaustible resources, such as fossil fuels, with biodiesel created with recycled cooking oil offers far-reaching benefits not just for our environment, but also for our health and the economy. Curious about biodiesel sustainability and other positive effects? We examine some of the top benefits of swapping petroleum diesel for biodiesel.
Benefits of Biodiesel
Emitting up to 76 percent fewer overall greenhouse gas emissions than petroleum diesel, biodiesel reduces harmful substances often found in vehicle exhaust, including carbon monoxide, sulfates and unburned hydrocarbons. However, its cleanliness is only one benefit. Just a few reasons to make the switch to biodiesel include:
- Lower tailpipe emissions: Confirmed by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), using biodiesel substantially decreases tailpipe carbon emissions when compared to ultra-low sulfur diesel. SeQuential biodiesel’s ultra-low carbon intensity gives our biodiesel one of the lowest carbon footprints available.
- Enhanced safety – Less combustible than petroleum diesel, a biodiesel spill would cause far less damage to the environment and is safer to handle, store and transport, with a high flashpoint compared to traditional diesel.
- Better air quality: Biodiesel reduces nitrogen oxide emissions to near zero levels, thanks to the carbon dioxide released during its production, contributing to cleaner air.
- Improved engine performance: With higher cetane and lubricity values in comparison to diesel fuels, biodiesel keeps your engine running more efficiently and can even increase its lifespan.
- Economic rewards: Biodiesel can help eliminate our dependence on foreign oil producers that constantly subject the United States to price changes, supply disruption and trade deficits. As the biofuel industry grows, more jobs will be created and stimulate the economy for years to come.
Harnessing the Power of Biodiesel
With concerns for climate change on the rise, the time to make a change is now. Since 2002, our refinement process has transformed everyday kitchen waste into low-carbon biodiesel that helps thousands of customers across the West Coast minimize their carbon footprints and drastically decrease their overall greenhouse gas emissions. To start experiencing the benefits of biodiesel yourself, find a filling station or contact us today.