Current Needs: Dispatcher | Saturday through Wednesday
We are seeking a dispatcher to join our team! This position would work out of our Salinas office Saturday through Wednesday. There are two schedule options available: 4am-12:30pm OR 6am-2:30pm.
A successful candidate will be a detail-oriented individual who will create routes for used cooking oil collection and grease trap cleaning services throughout various west coast geographies. They will keep in close contact with drivers and service technicians throughout their shifts, and consistently work to improve route efficiency and service completion rates.
Candidates should display a positive and proactive approach and have excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills. You should be highly skilled at prioritizing multiple tasks, and have strong effective communication skills (both written and over the phone). You should be able to work independently to proactively and effectively solve problems.
Candidates should be familiar with the geography of the San Jose area, and be comfortable reading and interpreting maps and giving directions.
Note, this is not a clerical position.We require strong candidates with dispatch, routing, scheduling and/or logistics experience.
The Dispatcher creates routes and plans service appointments for multiple technicians in an assigned region. In collaboration with other departments, the Dispatcher may need to modify routes in real time throughout the day to accommodate customers with urgent needs. The Dispatcher should be comfortable speaking on the phone to drivers / service technicians, sales representatives, and customers so that they can quickly resolve any issues that prevent the completion of scheduled services.
- Build efficient daily routes and adjust them in real-time based on changing variables
- Manage a set of customers who require timely grease trap cleaning service at regular intervals, and ensure driver technicians meet service timeframe objectives
- Act as a communication liaison, receiving information from drivers on routes and processing it as needed
- Continually evaluate routing structure for efficiency, to reduce costs and improve service
- Update company databases with current information, customer contacts and key events relating to each customer
- Publish schedules to all technicians and local environmental inspectors on a weekly basis
- Communicate service disruptions in real time to management and customer service
- Work to overcome barriers to success, including collaborating and following up with other departments to ensure excellent customer service
- Field calls from technicians with questions or feedback regarding their assignment, equipment issues, and work schedules; collaborate with driver managers
- Maintain high standards of service for all customers
Experience & Competencies
- 2+ year routing and/or dispatch experience (5+ fleet size)
- Highly organized and able to multi-task in ever-changing situations; adaptable and flexible
- Strong administrative and technical skills, as would be needed in a typical office environment
- Ability to quickly learn new systems and software tools
- Professional and friendly demeanor and strong relationship building skills, with an emphasis on collaboration
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication, English literacy (multilingual applicants encouraged to apply)
- Proven success with efficient use of Excel, Word and Outlook
- Logical decision-making skills
- Demonstrated map reading skills
- Self-directed and flexible, able to manage your own time and workflow daily
- Schedule flexibility, including swing, late night and/or weekend shifts
- Preferred (but not required) experience with XRS, Roadnet Transportation Suite or similar routing/dispatch software
- Preferred (but not required) experience with CRM systems
- Ability to stand, sit, walk, push, pull, and carry materials up to 40 pounds daily
- Ability to sit or stand at a desk and work on a computer for several contiguous hours
- Ability to tolerate intense, unpleasant smells
- Ability to wear protective equipment on the head, face, hands and feet in accordance with safety requirements
- Ability to work in varying noise levels, and to wear hearing protection as required